JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for managing Sakata Seed America’s cucurbit seed production. Main objective includes delivery of high-quality seed, and information that meets or exceeds Sakata’s standards with optimal cost and service level agreements.
The Cucurbit Crop Specialist will deliver Sakata’s production needs by acting as the agronomic expert on cucurbit seed production, analyzing agronomic performance and identifying areas of opportunity, executing plans, reporting supply data, developing new production locations to produce in the best areas for the crop, managing seed quality and reliability of existing production areas. Available for other strategic projects and crops within the Company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Visit domestic and international production locations for commercial and Stock Seed productions to inspect crops and provide feedback to producers on Sakata genetics and best production practices. The focus will be on cucurbit crops but solanum and brassica knowledge is helpful.
- Provide agronomic support to local teams and serve as species expert for cucurbit crops and provide valuable agronomic insight during the growing season
- Work with the cucurbit supply planner to provide input on crop placement to help ensure the highest potential of success.
- Follow up on QA concerns and issues and work with experimental production, and seed physiology to identify problems and implement trials to determine best practices
- Visit and keep track of the domestic and international production fields at every phenological stage.
- Develop relationships with international vendors to expand production capabilities
- Communication of inbred line information and parent descriptions to international production locations and where needed working with breeder to ensure up to date information.
- Adopt best practices to maximize seed yield and quality.
- Train production workers on techniques related to planting, pollination and harvest where needed.
- Advise internal and 3rd party producers on best agronomic practices to maximize production potential.
- Analyze past production quantity, quality, base rates, cost and timeliness data and contribute to the overall strategic roadmap for cucurbit production at Sakata; Manage technical improvement projects with subsidiaries and vendors.
- Review and analyze domestic and international production locations, maintain contacts there and suggest new producers where needed
- Address areas for improvement, simplification, optimization or expansion of our business, including crop year performance and grower performance analysis.
- Assist in evaluating and improving the success and effectiveness of the production department.
- Work with planning to ensure thorough communication with international vendors enabling delivery of critical updates and growing information.
- Seed industry experience necessary
- 5+ years in a research or seed production environment.
- Crop knowledge to be able to advise on areas of concern and develop actionable solutions
- Practical, hands-on experience with cucurbit crop production and knowledgeable in cucurbit disease and fertility management is required. Experience with Solanum and brassica crops helpful.
- Continuous improvement mindset to identify areas for improvement and strategize on ways to accomplish these improvements.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong analytical and reasoning abilities. Demonstrated ability to accurately attend to detail.
- Computer and software familiarity and competency required to maintain accurate records, exchange information, and communicate regularly in a timely fashion.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along with diverse personalities.
- Excellent communicator in English necessary, Spanish helpful
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- B.S. degree or equivalent experience required, with classes in crop production, agronomy, plant science.
- Preferred: Masters in an Agriculture related discipline a bonus.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours.
- Travel up to 45%
- Must be able to travel for long periods of time throughout the year. Must be able and willing to travel to foreign countries.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary: $80,000-$100,000 per year
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage for employees and their families
- Basic Life & AD&D Insurance
- 401k program with company match
- Profit Sharing program (via 401k)
- Holiday & Performance Incentive Bonus program
- Paid Vacation: 10 days per year to start, increases with tenure
- Sick Leave: 1 hour accrued per 30 hours worked for first 30 days, 6.67 hours per month after.
- 14 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays & birthday off
- Paid Family Leave: 15 days after 12 months of service for FMLA qualifying events
- Company provided EAP
- Company provided subsidy for health/fitness clubs & apps
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com