JOB SUMMARY: The primary function of this position is to assist the carrot breeder in the planting of cages and production of carrot seed during the summer. Secondarily, this position will assist in the planning, placement, and evaluation of off station research trials though these are principally the responsibility of the breeders themselves. In addition, Coordinator works closely with Trials Manager, Product Managers and Plant Breeders preparing trial plans to produce necessary product advancement data.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Work with and support the carrot breeder in the planting and maintenance of cages, the pollination of flowers, and the production and harvest of carrot seed.
- Set up, follow, and evaluate off-station G2 proving trials in the territory in assigned crops.
- Create a trialing plan for all G2 products every spring and fall seasons with input from trials manager, breeders, and product managers.
- Coordinates non-breeder related trials on Salinas Research station. In particular, lettuce, spinach, beets, and baby leaf will be considered. Trials coordinator should evaluate these trials and gain a good familiarity with these products.
- Planting and coordinating IT trials for non-resident breeders of the Salinas Research station. Reading these trials will be the responsibility of the breeder.
- Trial Coordinator should develop close working relationships with key growers in the territory and develop knowledge of cultural practices for key crops in the territory.
- Trials Coordinator will organize field visits for internal and external visitors.
- Trials Coordinator will provide market information for key crops in the territory.
- Trials Coordinator will provide information and recommendations for product advancement in a trial data summary on a regular basis (spring/fall seasons).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to evaluate experimental hybrids and select potentially successful products.
- Must have knowledge of basic agriculture and vegetable production techniques.
- Must have basic knowledge of how a breeding program works.
- Must have the ability to organize and plan work effectively.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with personnel within the company, growers, and dealers both verbally and in written form.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must be able to work under different weather conditions such as extremes of temperature, rain, and dusty conditions.
- Must be able to travel extensively.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
- Must be willing and able to wear personal protective gear when required and/or necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Minimum two years experience in plant agriculture or related area.
- Agricultural background preferred. Seed industry knowledge or product development experience is highly desirable.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com.