Sakata is committed to providing a workplace free of any and all kinds of discrimination. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to promote a culturally diverse workforce. Thanks to our global and multicultural business environment, individuals can meet and work with people from all over the world.
Responsible for performing and/or coordinating diverse tasks such as sowing, transplanting, crop maintenance, sanitation, pollination, harvesting, evaluation, record keeping, and seed extraction for the Tomato breeding program. Most activities will be performed at the Florida Research Station at Fort Myers and be conducted in accordance with specific directions and protocols. Occasional local travel required. Will train the right candidate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Review and follow protocols set and approved by the program leader, according to company polices.
- Assists in maintaining greenhouse plants for tomato breeding projects. Duties include sowing, following sanitation protocols, crop maintenance, pollination, seed extraction.
- Check on seedlings in the transplant house and the plants in the greenhouse and make sure they are growing according to industry standards.
- Check on the greenhouses’ irrigation and cooling systems and learn how to trouble-shoot malfunctions.
- Keep track of the field and greenhouse supplies making sure they are available when needed.
- Actively participates in the planning, design, execution, maintenance, evaluation, harvest, and seed extraction on tomato field trials.
- Assists pathology staff on diverse tasks relating to tomato disease screens. Scout the plants in the field and greenhouses for pests and diseases; report findings to the supervisor and field manager.
- Coordinate with the field manager and/or his assistant regarding chemical applications in the field and/or greenhouses.
- Assists tomato breeding staff on seed inventory management, organization, and record keeping. Check the functionality of different equipment as directed and report any problems to the supervisor and farm manager.
- Supervises and assists labor crews with trial set-up, clean-up, and with the maintenance and storage of trial materials and equipment.
- Assists with trial record keeping, data entry, and analysis.
- Oversees and directs contract labor as needed and checks their work quality. Ensure company safety policies are being followed.
- Assists in coordinating and evaluating off-station trials.
- Coordinates with other station personnel to perform weekend greenhouse check-up on a rotational basis.
- Safely operate greenhouse and laboratory equipment as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic horticulture, biology and/or microbiology.
- Strong desire to learn and improve horticultural knowledge relating to vegetable breeding and plant pathology.
- Ability to perform tasks in accordance with specific, detailed instructions and protocols.
- Good communication skills and ability to work well and coordinate activities with co-workers.
- Must have excellent manual dexterity, spatial perception, and visual discrimination.
- Computer experience with Microsoft Office 365 software desired.
- Ability to perform high quality work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to freely identify and solve basic horticultural/agricultural problems as encountered.
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture and/or related field/agricultural experience desirable. Those with a combination of experience and/or education are encouraged to apply.
- Agricultural background highly desirable.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred.
- Must have valid drivers license.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work under different weather conditions such as extremes of temperature, humidity, and rain.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must maintain good working attitude under above conditions.
- Must maintain accuracy and efficiency while performing tedious tasks.
- Must be willing and able to wear personal protective gear when required and/or necessary.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances using all required PPE.
Send your Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org