JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for overseeing operational aspects of the breeding program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Organizing, sowing, transplanting and harvesting of breeding trials, hybrid trials, and crossing blocks created by the breeder.
- Entry of trials and trial data into a centralized database
- Organizing of and shipping seeds to various locations within the US and other countries
- Creating, coordinating and overseeing the implementation of protocols and technology required to scale up the breeding program with a minimum impact on overall budget
- Maintaining breeding records, seed inventories, molecular marker results, pathology results, and trial data in a centralized database
- Directing labor crews in crossing, seed packaging, sowing, transplanting, tissue sample collection
- Maintenance and continual improvement of all operational protocols in the breeding program with a focus on technology, efficiency, and labor reduction
- Participation in group meetings and cooperation with other breeding programs to optimize timing and use of shared resources.
- Preparing reports for the breeder and product managers based on data gathered from trials
- Supervising of technicians and contract labor crews
- Assist in trial placement, monitoring, and harvest of trials on our research station and with growers
- The developed ability to select for horticultural type. Must have some knowledge of all aspects of both seed production and commercial crop production.
- The ability to organize and plan effectively and to communicate effectively with personnel within the company, the public, growers, and dealers. The ability to disseminate information either verbally or through written reports.
- Computer skills sufficient to manage information in a database, analyze data to arrive at logical conclusions, and to create presentations to communicate results.
- Experience in the effective and efficient use of molecular markers
- The ability to lead and to motivate assistants, technicians, and part-time labor in assigned species to achieve objectives.
- The ability to manage resources while implementing a plan and staying on budget.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Strong character traits required including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
- Bachelor’s degree or Associates degree plus a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar position
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to work in groups with shared resources, and communicate easily with managers, peers, and labor crews.
- Bilingual spoken and written English/Spanish is highly desirable.
- Experience working with sweet peppers is highly desirable
WORKING CONDINTIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be willing to travel up to 10% including local, national, and international locations
- Must be able to work with chemicals and possible irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required (backbrace, sunscreen, hat).
- Must be able to work under different weather conditions such as extremes of temperature (heat and cold) dampness, rain and sun exposure.
- Must be able to work in dusty conditions.
- Must be able to work on one’s feet for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com.