JOB SUMMARY:As Associate Director, this position will support the Senior Director in managing the research department. Fundamental to the role of directing research are budget management, breeding guidance and review, and the facilitation of adequate breeding support in the areas of biotechnology, plant pathology, data collection, and data analysis. In addition, the associate director may be assigned responsibilities for specific breeding projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Participates in all breeding reviews – Listen and critique what has been done, what is planned, allocations, and priorities. Suggest solutions and consider input from others.
- Assist in charting the course of the company in response to internal and external developments in the industry.
- Assist in reviewing and approving adequate plans for the control of all areas of research including budget spending, labor efficiency, material efficiency, research effectiveness and human utilization.
- Reviews performance against operating plans and standards. Provides reports on interpretation of results and recommends changes in direction of plans
- Coordinates and collaborates with other departments of the company in establishing and carrying out responsibilities.
- Coordinates and collaborates with other Sakata subsidiaries to facilitate the sharing of germplasm, the pursuit of common breeding goals, and the development of competitive products.
- Reviews and opines on the setting of budgets and the planning of future growth throughout the Research Department.
- Reviews and recommends changes in major projects within the department’s functional areas.
- Reviews research support functions such as biotechnology and breeder support pathology and recommends changes in scope, funding, and direction.
- Develops plans for new areas of technology for the Research function, along with sufficient planning for areas which support the mission of the corporation within the Research Department.
- Assumes other special activities and responsibilities as directed.
- Ensures optimum performance of the Research function. Recommends and implements techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs, and maintain up-to-date Research practices.
- Reviews and manages approvals for expenses of assigned reports.
- Reviews performance and provides guidance in performance reviews as well as assigning SMART goals for assigned reports
- Acts within scope of authority and consistent with company objectives, guidelines, policies and practices.
- Assures a positive employee relations position is maintained. Ensures the company’s management principles, policies, and programs are consistently practiced.
- Directs, monitors and appraises the performance of units immediately reporting to Associate Director and provides the necessary coordination between activities.
- Identifies training needs; initiates development of subordinates; recommends effective personnel action.
- Keeps employees informed as to company/department plans and progress.
- Coordinates activities of assigned units with those of other company units. Seeks mutual agreement on problems involving coordination.
- Consults with all segments of management and staff responsible for policy or action as necessary.
- Ensures that duties, responsibilities, authority and accountability of all direct subordinates are defined and understood.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong analytical and reasoning abilities.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive.
- Demonstrated participative management style, advocates team concept.
- Well developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along with diverse personalities. Tactful – mature minded – flexible.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately attend to detail.
- Ability to train, supervise and evaluate the performance of subordinates.
- Results-oriented with the ability to balance other business considerations.
- B.S. degree in business, agriculture or related discipline.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. highly desirable.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Affiliations with successful seed companies.
- A minimum of 15 years experience, ideally gained through increasingly responsible management positions.
- A minimum of 8 years upper management experience with the responsibilities of a seed Research Department.
- Sound administrative skills and well-developed management skills.
- Proven ability to recruit, train and motivate personnel in order to balance staffing strength with profitability and growth.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours.
- Must be able to travel for long periods of time throughout the year.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
To Apply Please Send Resume to HR@Sakata.Com
* To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.