JOB SUMMARY: Initiate, coordinate and implement research and development projects focusing on seed diagnostic biology and seed enhancement technology, in order to extensively and progressively improve seed physiological quality at Sakata Seed America.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Primary responsibility includes responsible for designing, implementing and analyzing multi-disciplinary research experiments aimed at improving seed and seedling physiological quality in the company.
- This advanced level technical position will be responsible for developing and implementing new technologies and further refining the existing protocols that would enhance physiological quality of stock and commercial seed;
- Design and conduct multiple research and development projects in an organized and timely manner, as requested by QA, R&D, Marketing, Production and Operation Departments;
- Understand the dynamic business requirements and transform them into mid-term and long-term research projects;
- Responsible for data analyses of results obtained in internal and external projects and subsequent decision making, including oral and written communications;
- Accountable for the maintenance of the research laboratory and greenhouse, ensuring a very safe working environment;
- To supervise and train lab technicians and interns in laboratory operation procedures and the operation of equipment in the laboratory;
- Any other seed biology and technology development duties as may be reasonably required by the company, QA Manager or Physiology Manager;
- The individual will work primarily in a laboratory environment, with some greenhouse and field work.
- Minimum 5 years research experience in seed science and technology.
- Proved track record in developing practical solutions in seed technology.
- Competencies and experience in seed quality, testing, storage behavior, dormancy/germination;
- Competencies in data analysis and image processing;
- Experience in hands on cell biology and molecular biology experience.
- Must have a creative mindset and a pragmatic attitude.
- Must be able to perform job activities accurately and efficiently. Attention to detail.
- Must be comfortable working in an agricultural environment; i.e.. with agricultural chemicals and in environments where temperatures may be hot or cold
- Must have good communication skills
- Must be receptive to changing work demands, techniques, or approaches and must have the ability to adapt quickly to such circumstances
- PhD degree in plant biology, horticulture or agronomy, with emphasis on seed science and physiology.
- Post doc research experience in seed biology preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Computer literacy and data analysis skills.
- Good verbal and oral communication skills in English
- Minimum five years’ working experience in lab setting of seed or biotechnology industry.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work in a greenhouse environment, under hot and cold temperatures for several hours at a time (15%)
- Must be willing to work with chemicals and pesticides, and other potentially irritating substances, such as fertilizers and plant growth regulators
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required to apply pesticides
- Must be able to work in dusty conditions and willing to work alone and without direct supervision for extended periods
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be available to work overtime, weekends and/or holidays when the workflow demands.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com