JOB SUMMARY: Conduct routine seed laboratory activities including germination testing, purity and noxious weed examinations. Accurately document test data, evaluate accuracy of test results, and schedule additional testing as needed. Monitor laboratory equipment performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Plant seed for germination tests, according to first count day and testing priorities.
- Germination evaluations. Accurately identify normal and abnormal seedlings. Describe abnormalities, dormancy, and other problems.
- Knowledge of Purity and noxious weed exam or the ability and willingness to learn.
- Knowledge of weed and crop seed identification or ability and willingness to learn.
- Data collection such as logging samples to be tested, recording and reporting test results.
- Monitor laboratory equipment performance to insure lab equipment is adequately and properly maintained.
- Maintain file samples and retesting process.
- Able to train and lead temporary and other semi – skilled personnel
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with spreadsheets and entering results in database computer programs.
- Able to do accurate detailed work under time constraints and deadlines and able to adjust to seasonal surges in workload.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Maintain a cooperative attitude, treating all staff with courtesy and respect
- High school diploma and additional education or experience with seed or plant quality testing required.
- Bachelor’s degree desired in agricultural science, biological sciences or related field.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Prior experience in vegetable and commercial flower seed germination and purity testing preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Able to work with pesticides, lab chemicals and other potentially irritating substances.
- Able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time (up to 70%).
- Able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required (protective gloves 50% of time, lab coat 50% of time, dust masks and safety goggle or glasses 25% of the time.)
- Available to work overtime during the work week or on weekends as needed.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds
- Must be able to climb and descend step ladders.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com