JOB SUMMARY:Coordinate the routine seed laboratory activities including scheduling of in-house germination testing, purity, and noxious weed examinations and coordinate all outsourced testing. Oversee the preparation and evaluation of the in-house tests. Perform data entry, data processing and other computer duties using company database and personal computer software. Assist in the training of other Seed Lab staff in the use of the Sakata ERP system and other lab activities. Complete duties and special projects as assigned by Lab Manager and QA Director. Manage requests for expedited processing of samples. In the absence of supervisor, take action on equipment repair issues. In the absence of supervisor, determine if overtime will be required to complete germination testing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates the routine and outsourced seed lab testing. Monitors test data from SAI and outsourced labs. Evaluates, summarizes and distributes test data and information to all appropriate departments (QA, Supply Chain). Notifies the Lab Manager of data requiring case by case management decisions and/or specific recommendations.
- Plant seed for germination tests, according to first count day and testing priorities.
- Schedule and conduct germination evaluations. Accurately identify normal and abnormal seedlings. Describe abnormalities, dormancy, and other problems.
- Schedule and conduct Purity and Noxious weed exams – weed and crop seed identification.
- Receive samples to be tested, create germination and purity datasheets, record and report test results.
- Assist in training other staff (including lab technologists, temporary staff, trainees, and interns) in testing and data entry skills. Provide technical supervision in the absence of the lab manager.
- Coordinate requests for expedited testing as requested by sales and planning staff.
- Work with Lab Manager to develop KPI’s to monitor and report sample workflow and forecasting of testing volume. Develop strategies to minimize or avoid workload backlogs.
- In the absence of supervisor, monitor lab equipment and take required action, as needed.
- In the absence of supervisor, monitor daily testing workload and instruct seed lab staff if overtime will be required to complete vital tests.
- Employee will participate in mandatory training regarding the GSPP handling protocols and procedures and apply all during the handling of any GSPP seeds. Employee agrees to active participation in the GSPP Program by performing the following activities related to the GSPP seed:
o Quality Testing
- Maintain file samples and lab datasheets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to do computer data entry and use personal computer software.
- Able to do accurate detailed work under time constraints and deadlines and able to adjust to seasonal surges in workload.
- Ability to do routine and repetitious work in a greenhouse, growth room, field or at a laboratory bench for several hours.
- Ability to quickly adapt and be receptive to changing work demands, techniques, and/or approaches. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Maintain a cooperative attitude, treating all staff with courtesy and respect
- Must have ability to interface effectively with management and fellow employees.
- AA or BS degree in agricultural science, biological sciences or related field desired.
- Registered Seed Technologist or actively enrolled in an RST accreditation program.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- A minimum of five years of experience in vegetable seed germination and purity testing required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and supervise technical and non-technical support staff.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
- Able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds
- Must be able to climb and descend step ladders.
- Able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required (protective gloves 50% of time, lab coat 50% of time).
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: $75,000 – $80,000 per year
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage for employees and their families
- Basic Life & AD&D Insurance
- 401k program with company match
- Profit Sharing program (via 401k)
- Holiday & Performance Incentive Bonus program
- Paid Vacation: 10 days per year to start, increases with tenure
- Sick Leave: 1 hour accrued per 30 hours worked for first 30 days, 6.67 hours per month after.
- 14 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays & birthday off
- Paid Family Leave: 15 days after 12 months of service for FMLA qualifying events
- Company provided EAP
- Company provided subsidy for health/fitness clubs & apps
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com