JOB SUMMARY: Primary responsibility is working with Sakata Seeds America Molecular Markers Scientists to carry out lab work related to developing new Molecular Markers to support vegetable breeding programs and refining select lab protocols. Provides support for routine marker-assisted selection as needed during busy periods and some technical developmental support for the Quality Assurance lab as well, as requested.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Works under the technical direction of the Marker Scientist or the department manager to execute molecular marker or protocol development research projects in the lab. May work independently on some projects as directed.
- Work with the Marker Application Scientist on routine marker-assisted selection projects as needed. Collect plant tissue samples in the greenhouse.
- Provide technical support to the QA lab as requested, primarily related to marker and protocol development, as well as data management issues related to the comprehensive genetic testing platform.
- Overnight trips regionally and to other locations within the US to collect tissue samples and possibly assist with phenotyping relating to trait-linked marker development.
- Aid in or be responsible for the training and technical supervision of trainees, temporary employees, and others in the lab as delegated by manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic genetics and chemistry concepts and lab techniques required.
- Must be able to interact cooperatively with supervisors, lab personnel, and other research staff.
- Must have good computer (PC) skills, and the ability to learn and become adept with other programs.
- Must be able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Must be able to operate and understand laboratory equipment.
- Must be able to learn additional appropriate technical and semi-technical skills.
- Must have the ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Must have excellent spatial perception, mathematical aptitude, auditory discrimination, visual discrimination, dexterity, and mechanical aptitude.
- Must have experience with and knowledge of standard molecular biology protocols.
- S. degree in Plant Science, Biology, Genetics, or related field.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- One to two years of laboratory experience, including DNA (SNP) marker assays and DNA isolation required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work with hazardous laboratory chemicals and other possible irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required. (Protective gloves, lab coat, and safety glasses approximately 80% of the time, respirator on occasion).
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com