JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for various tasks during the daily operation of the Burlington research site.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Coordinates with the Farm Manager to implement schedules, requirements and supplies for all projects at the Burlington research location.
- Responsible for planting, transplanting, maintaining, watering, and harvesting all crops grown at this site.
- Responsible for maintenance of greenhouses, buildings, and landscaped areas at this site.
- Responsible for pest and disease scouting and application of control measures in a greenhouse environment
- Coordinates with breeding staff to organize and prioritize projects related to greenhouse activities.
- Responsible for assisting the Burlington Research seed processer with any harvesting or seed cleaning, as needed.
- Responsible for assisting breeder support, pathology, and QA functions as needed in the Burlington lab.
- Works with Farm Manager and others in the training and supervision of all seasonal contract laborers at this site.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of equipment and tools used at this site including, but not limited to, greenhouse sprayers, forklifts, and seed cleaning equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have ability to safely operate, maintain, and perform minor repairs and diagnostics on greenhouses and associated irrigation and electrical systems.
- Must have basic computer knowledge including Excel, Word, Outlook, and Microsoft Teams.
- Must have basic knowledge of electrical and plumbing systems and be able to diagnose problems with these systems.
- Ability to communicate well in written and spoken English.
- Ability to do accurate detailed work under time constraints and deadlines.
- Must be available for some overtime hours or weekend duty as needed.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish desirable but not required.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Minimum two years agriculture experience required.
- Greenhouse or farming background highly desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have valid Washington driver’s license.
- Current Washington Private Applicator pesticide license desirable. Must be willing to obtain a pesticide license.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must have ability to perform work in varying weather conditions.
- Must have ability to lift over 50 pounds on a regular/daily basis.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective gear when required.
- Must be able to work in dusty conditions.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com