JOB SUMMARY: The Greenhouse Technician is responsible for daily greenhouse operations at the Sakata research station in Fort Myers. That includes pest management, irrigation, fertilization, sanitation and control of temperature and ventilation. The Technician will work with breeding program members to maintain and improve the growing of greenhouse crops. The incumbent will keep greenhouse systems functioning through regular maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs. In addition, the technician will support off-site breeders and sales teams with managing on-site trials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Executes an Integrated Pest Management plan to control insects, plant diseases and weeds in and around greenhouse structures. Release beneficial insects in greenhouses. Spray pesticides in greenhouses using overhead foggers, hydraulic sprayers and backpack sprayers, as needed.
- Assist breeding programs with greenhouse controls, growing practices and increasing labor efficiency.
- Work with breeding programs to produce quality transplants for field and greenhouse.
- Maintain greenhouse irrigation by cleaning filters and tanks on a regular basis and doing minor plumbing repairs when needed. Clean and sanitize greenhouses between crops. Troubleshoot and repair greenhouse systems.
- Coordinate with people outside of the Fort Myers station to plan and execute trials on the research farm, with crops such as broccoli, cabbage, melons, flowers and sweet corn.
- Will be occasionally required to assist the farm team as needed to accomplish tasks in the open field, including tractor and forklift operation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with pesticides and personal protective equipment.
- Ability to identify insect, disease and weed pests and beneficial insects.
- Working knowledge of irrigation systems.
- Basic understanding of greenhouse control systems, with the ability to set programming for irrigation, fertilization, temperature and ventilation.
- Experience documenting work procedures in a clear and concise manner.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Ability to coordinate with co-workers to accomplish good plant growing conditions.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Experience caring for plants.
- Greenhouse work background desirable
- Knowledge of pest control in greenhouse structures
- Experience with maintaining and repairing greenhouse systems and equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- Tractor and/or forklift experience desirable.
- Ability to speak Spanish is desirable, but not required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have or be able to obtain within six months a Pesticide Applicator’s License from the State of Florida
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or commensurate experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must have ability to perform work in varying weather conditions, including in very hot and humid environments.
- Must have ability to lift over 50 pounds on a seasonal basis
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when required
- Must be able to work in dusty, windy and wet conditions
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time
- Occasional need for working after normal hours and/or weekends and holidays
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: $40,000 – $60,000 per year
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage for employees and their families
- Basic Life & AD&D Insurance
- 401k program with company match
- Profit Sharing program (via 401k)
- Holiday & Performance Incentive Bonus program
- Paid Vacation: 10 days per year to start, increases with tenure
- Sick Leave: 1 hour accrued per 30 hours worked for first 30 days, 6.67 hours per month after.
- 14 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays & birthday off
- Paid Family Leave: 15 days after 12 months of service for FMLA qualifying events
- Company provided EAP
- Company provided subsidy for health/fitness clubs & apps
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com