JOB SUMMARY: Primary responsibility is the application of routine molecular markers (DNA and isozyme) testing for the hybrid purity, variety ID and ploidy under the quality assurance program. This position provides routine support for all activities in the lab, as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Apply routine molecular marker testing, including collecting and sampling plant tissue, seed, setting up marker tests, preparing gels, performing electrophoresis, staining gels, and assisting in the evaluation of results. Also perform DNA marker analysis using advanced gel-free technology.
- Responsible for routine DNA marker testing and ploidy testing.
- Maintain chemical stock solutions and laboratory equipment, assist in the handling of hazardous waste, maintain lab cleanliness.
- Assist in data entry regarding incoming samples and results.
- Assist in hybridity research (including new variety protocol development and improving or changing existing procedures).
- Help with technical supervision of trainees, temporary employees, and others in the lab as delegated by lab manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic chemistry principles and techniques required.
- Must be able to interact cooperatively with job supervisors, lab personnel and other staff.
- Must have excellent spatial perception, mathematical aptitude, auditory discrimination, visual discrimination, manual dexterity, and mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Must have basic understanding of laboratory equipment operation.
- Must be able to learn appropriate technical and semi-technical skills.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Must have the ability to organize and prioritize work.
- B.S. degree in Plant Science, Biology, Chemistry, Genetics or related field required, plus two or more years of relevant molecular biology lab work experience is desired.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Employment-related laboratory experience required.
- Experience with molecular markers/genotyping preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work with hazardous laboratory chemicals and other possible irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required. (Protective gloves, safety glasses & lab coat 60-80% of the time, respirator 15% of the time).
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com