JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting the Farm Operation Manager in the daily farm operation and maintenance of the research station, with a primary focus on chemical spray programs. Operates a variety of farm equipment and maintains farm records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Responsible for the execution of chemical spray programs in both the field and greenhouses under the direction of the Farm Operations Manager.
- Maintains farm records, including chemical and fertilizer inventory and use, water use, weather and safety training
- Assist with seasonal field operations such as the preparation of fumigated beds, field cultivation, mowing and crop destruction at the end of the growing cycle.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of farm equipment and tools, such as tractors, greenhouse sprayers, irrigation systems, etc.
- Assist in simple repairs and construction projects at the research station on an as needed basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have ability to safely operate, maintain, and perform minor repairs on farm equipment.
- Must be formally safety trained in the use of pesticides and fumigants
- Ability to do accurate detailed work under time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to communicate and keep records electronically. Familiar with spreadsheets and data entry
- Must be available for some extra hours or weekend duty as needed.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish desirable but not required.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- B.S. in agriculture or related subject, or equivalent knowledge and experience as determined by Sakata
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Minimum two years agricultural experience required.
- Farm background highly desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have valid Florida driver’s license.
- Current Florida pesticide applicator’s license highly desirable
- Must be capable of completing fumigation certification courses successfully
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work in varying weather conditions such as extremes of temperature, dampness, rain, and sun exposure.
- Must have ability to lift over 50 pounds on a regular/daily basis.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when required.
- Must be able to walk or stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work in dusty conditions.
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com