JOB SUMMARY: Customer Service management responsibilities for Vegetable Sales Department. Responsible for customer service for sales, sample requests and other inquiries. Responsible for processing commercial orders for assigned territory. Processes sample orders for all territories. Answers customer inquiries regarding seed availability and seed releases. Supervises customer service staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Receives, researches and answers customer inquiries and requests regarding products, prices and services. Quotes pricing, special offers and negotiates special deals and often “closes” the sale. Sends price quotation to customers to confirm their orders prior to shipment.
- Responsible for all vegetable and/or flower seed samples for domestic and/or international customers as assigned.
- Receives and answers inquiries and requests from customers (including SSC and it’s subsidiaries) regarding seed availability, seed quality and pricing. Works with Purchasing Agent to order seeds needed.
- Follow up on customer inquiries and researches to assure satisfactory completion.
- Must be able to provide technical product information, seed treatments and seed enhancement options to customers upon request.
- Resolves customer questions related to orders, seed releases, samples, seed availability and SSC orders. Takes orders as needed.
- Writes up orders, mails catalogs, samples, price quotations and similar data to customers for vegetable and flower seed, as required.
- Assists with report and performs other projects as assigned by the sales managers, supervisor, and the Senior Director of Sales and Marketing.
- Performs other clerical duties and projects as assigned by the sales supervisor, sales managers or the director of Sales and Marketing.
- Performs back-up duties and support for other sales personnel in the department.
- May perform export documentation.
- Supports Marketing Department with promotional mailings and other customer correspondence whenever necessary.
- Processes annual contracts as needed.
- Direct Operations to pack and re-pack seed as needed to fulfill customer needs.
- Responsible for assisting the Finance Department with order processing, credit and RMA issues, accounts receivable, late payments, COD’s and establishing credit limits.
- Cross train within the department to learn internal processes, procedures and customer preferences associated with flowers, vegetable and vegetative products.
- Make periodic visits to assigned customers with the appropriate Area Manager to improve customer relations and communications.
- Provide Marketing with input regarding product availability, etc. for the website.
- Attend at least one personal improvement seminar each year.
- Assist in Flower Pack Trials, Cut Flower Trials and Vegetable Field Days.
- Has the ability to negotiate prices for non-standard seed lots with the approval of Sales Management.
- Daily reviews the Open Order Report to determine seed availability for current orders, back orders and future needs.
- Makes decisions and solves problems related to shipping options, wrong products, returned goods, discounts (within guidelines) and product substitutions.
- Reminds customers about ordering higher levels per invoice to achieve better terms.
- Can develop pro-rates to fairly distribute seed to customers in situation of seed shortages, late availability and/or crop failures. Creates prorate letters to inform the customer on shortages, crop failures, new crop dates and product options.
- Proactively make customer calls to confirm shipment dates, discuss seed availability for spot orders, update contract status and support various Area Managers as required. Follow up with customer to confirm arrivals.
- Maintain a working knowledge of internal budgets and monthly sales goals.
- Prepares sales reports customized for customers needs.
- Must have excellent telephone manner and speaking ability.
- Must have excellent word-processing skills, proficient in Word, Excel and other computer applications.
- Must have ability to operate standard office equipment such as faxes, printers, copy machines, etc.
- Must be detailed oriented.
- Must be able to function in a high stress environment.
- Customer service or related experience required.
- Must be outgoing and motivated.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Strong character traits required including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
- Must be able to function in a high stress environment.
- Seed experience, sales experience not required but preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in a business, marketing, agriculture or related subject is required or equivalent in training and experience.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Minimum eight years sales and/or customer service experience required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work at a computer terminal and on a computer keyboard for on going periods of time.
- Must be able to assess the needs of the customer and work with the internal departments to assure the customer’s needs.
- Must be able to travel for up to 10% of the time
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com