JOB SUMMARY: The Assistant Farm Manager works in cooperation with the Farm Manager and the Plant Breeders to coordinate the Research Station Farm Operations. The Assistant Farm Manager is responsible for supervising all daily farm operations which may include projects for other departments on the Research farm.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Works with Farm Manager, coordinating with the plant breeders and stock seed coordinator, to establish annual schedules, capacities and projects for the Research Farm, which includes all ground and greenhouse areas. The Assistant Farm Manager assists with the coordination and training of all labor used in the farming operation.
- Responsible for, with direction from Farm Manager, inventory and purchasing shared supplies used by all cost centers at research, and accurately allocating the costs to them.
- Responsible for, with direction from Farm Manager, all land prep, irrigation, fertilization, and other components of farming necessary to meet the needs of research, sales, or production. Also coordinates the labor and supplies needed for Breeder off-station plots.
- Responsible for, with direction from Farm Manager, maintaining the Research Station land, greenhouses, and buildings. Ensures positive company image and efficient operations.
- Assists in supervising subordinate Research Technicians and hiring all Research seasonal and hourly personnel, and accurately track hours worked to each respective cost center. Develops and implements employee training, safety and education programs.
- Assists Farm Manager with implementing department operating and capital budgets and goals.
- Other duties as assigned by Farm Manager and Research Manager.
- Follows all quality assurance, policies and procedures as follows but not limited to this list:
- Is aware of and personally follows all policies and procedures.
- Keeps Farm Manager informed of critical tasks not done.
- Ensures that all responsibilities are covered during planned absences.
- Stays informed and current on labor laws, safety laws, and pesticide laws.
- Encourages continual improvement within department.
- Ensures enforcement of policies and procedures.
- Raises issues when policies or procedures are not clear or not working.
- Keeps Farm Manager and Research Manager informed of issues developing.
- Ensures that the station is a safe and secure work environment.
- Must have knowledge/ability to grow a wide range of vegetable crops.
- Must have ability and overall knowledge to operate or coordinate the safe operation and maintenance of farm equipment.
- Must have good mechanical aptitude and manual dexterity. Basic knowledge of electrical, plumbing and fabrication is desired but not required.
- Must have the ability to communicate well in written and spoken English. Bilingual English/Spanish desired but not required.
- Must have basic knowledge of computer operations and word processing.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Minimum of a 4-year degree or equivalent related experience required.
- Must have valid Washington State driver’s license with a CDL Class A endorsement and excellent driving record.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid private applicator Pesticide license.
MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
- Will be required to operate farming equipment such as tractors, planters, sprayers, combines, etc.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work with chemicals, pesticides, and other possible irritating substances.
- Must be willing to work overtime hours, including some weekends and holidays, as requested.
- Must be able to work under different weather conditions such as extremes in temperature and must be able to work in dusty conditions.
- Must be able to wear protective equipment when necessary and/or required (e.g., gloves, respirator, safety glasses, hearing protection)
- Must be able to drive for long periods of time.
- Must be able to travel occasionally throughout the year on company related business.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com